View Single Post
Old 07-07-2016, 02:42 PM   #15
A1971Blazer

Re: Dial indicator ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepertruck72 View Post
A1971Blazer,
By no means is it life or death precision but Toyota has new A/C compressors where dial indicator is used to measure the magnetic clutch air gap. I have needed one when replacing a bearing on a RAV4 Transfer case . There is always The oh so fun brake rotor runout measurement when vehicle is new/under warranty I was considering the Trick Flow kit/ cam degree wheel on Summit Racing but the reviews were not so great..
There are several options you could use....One we use here in the shop daily has a magnetic base with a flex arm that has a wide range of mounting options and adjustments......but a mag base won't always work because they need a fairly flat and smooth surface to mount to..... a clamp on style obviously needs something to which you can clamp to that's in close proximity to your workpiece.....so it's kind of a toss up as to which one would suit your needs the best.
What style does your service department have?.....If that type works for you then go with it....all major tool suppliers carry a large assortment of different styles......just a matter of choosing ......the top brands will cost more and be more accurate, but may not be necessary for your application.

I use a fairly cheap one to set up ring and pinion sets.....it has a mag base and has gotten accidentally knocked off onto the floor more than once......I don't like dropping my high dollar indicators on the floor.....
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote