View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 12:05 AM   #2
kipps

Re: Steel rim opinions

No pics handy, but I picked up a set of wheel vintiques series 82 rims. They're about as plain and black and steel as you could want. They're 16" 8-lug rims, and I bought them in the 10" width. I put Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 tires on them, in a 305/70r16 size. They were one of the cheapest mud terrains I could find in a load range E. My truck is stock height. The tires look a little "stuffed" in the wheel wells, and they do rub at full lock. I think the 305/70 size would be about perfect with a 2" lift, but would be okay on a 4" as well.

Personally, for a 3/4 ton truck(which it appears you have), I'd stick with 16". 16" has been the most universal size since whenever for full-size trucks, and will likely continue to be so.

It doesn't take more than an hour of googling though, to figure out what common size tires exist for the different size rims. Figure out what width and diameter you want to end up with, and look for common tire sizes that will give you those dimensions on 16", 17", and 18" rims. You'll quickly figure out what tire and rim combos are cheap and common.

Another option, is to keep your current rims, and go with a much taller tire. Look at 255/85r16 tires. They're 10 inches wide, which should be fine on a 7 inch rim. They would have the same diameter as the 305/70r16 tires I purchased, but will be much skinnier.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote