View Single Post
Old 06-24-2017, 05:05 AM   #64
gokellurself

Re: Kell's Two Cents - 1946 build

The other week while underneath the truck scoping out the speedo gears I noticed the trans crossmember that came with the progressive X-member was sagging. Really threw me off cause I mean this truck hasn't even seen use yet.. I haven't called to see if they've been experiencing this with others but I decided to try strengthening it myself a little bit. I pulled it and it straightened out pretty easily, and stitched strips of plate on. I'll keep an eye on it but seems a lot beefier now

I really want to get the truck ready to be wired so while I had the welder out I welded the battery tray on. I really think it was the best spot for it, any where else on the truck seemed really out of place so this was perfect. Not imaged, I also tacked a bolt to the frame for a good grounding spot. Of course all this means stripping the frame down and recoating it once I was done welding... I think I fully understand now the benefit and value of building to mechanical completion before doing a final tear down and getting everything out to get coated... I guess you build and you learn

Speaking of learning, I knew soon as I saw my big ass aluminum driveshaft that it wasn't what I had had in mind, but I went with it anyways. I didn't like it and the clearance seemed too close for comfort so I took it back to the shop and had them just build me one using my yoke and U-joints that I already had. Went from a 5" aluminum to a 2 3/4" steel and am a lot happier with how things are looking.

I'm hoping to be back on it Sunday and should have a few other updates by then if that ends up happening. Things keep moving right along

Last edited by gokellurself; 08-19-2017 at 12:21 PM.
gokellurself is offline   Reply With Quote