View Single Post
Old 03-02-2016, 07:04 AM   #109
tristan

Re: Project Checkbook - 1971 Jimmy Custom

The frame has finally been liberated from the clutches of the contract sandblaster, who held up progress for 6 weeks. I'm going over to see it Saturday so brace yourselves for a slew of pictures. In the mean time work has re-commenced on the tub. I didn't like the way the interior paint came out so it has been buffed out in anticipation of a respray.

Since the shop is working on the interior we decided it would make sense to start prepping the exterior for final paint. The pictures show the temporary paint job shown in post 30 removed and final high/low spot treatment in process. It should be in primer by the time I see it on Saturday.

Most of my recent activity and expense has been in parts procurement. I have purchased new stainless steel brake and fuel lines via GMC Pauls and a new Painless wiring harness from Summit. I have also procured replacement parts for much of the AC system, including a new condenser and vacuum can. I am still waiting for the grille and some other brightwork to come back from the plater.

One of the best aspects of the forum has been discovering forum members who specialize in rebuilding specific components of our trucks. I have used members to rebuild my instrument panel, steering column and radio. Last week I shipped my heater and AC boxes and cores out to another one for a comprehensive makeover, and purchased stainless steel power steering lines from yet another member who makes them as a specialty item.

More on Saturday.
Attached Images

Last edited by tristan; 03-02-2016 at 09:25 AM.
tristan is offline   Reply With Quote