Thread: Chevy with 305?
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2016, 03:22 PM   #23
bpmcgee

Re: Chevy with 305?

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
may be a chev body on a gmc frame. don't take anything for granted. I know once we get something that we want sometime reason leaves. hate to seeyou buy it an not be able to registr it. lots of questions like you now realize that it is a 4 x 4. is it the real thing or converted 4 x 4 . there is a lot of crap out there that if it had to be inspected wouldn't be allowed on the street. it is your money.
that is how I got my suburban body. it was a 65 gmc on a 84 4 x4 chassis that was brought across the Border into BC. anything that comes in out of province(state in your case) get thorouhly inspected before registr. here. there was nothing the guy could do with it. I bought it for what it was and removed the body and that was really mickey moused on. beauty is only skin deep while ugly goes clear to the bone.
ron

Ron,

You're a genius! The frame started life as a GMC Panel, but the owner wanted something to haul his grandkids, so he swapped on a Chevy body (and titled it as a Chevy to match the VIN plate).

So what would the differences be in the frame and mechanical between the '61 GMC 4x4 and the '61 Chevy 4x4? I know the 305A engine, and the clutch. Are there other running-gear differences?

I've got a period 283 I could donate if that's all that would be required to make it a Chevy.

B
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote