Thread: Ramp Rat winch
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2017, 09:28 AM   #9
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Ramp Rat winch

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
How about running the winch positive cable off the starter solenoid, tied in with the main battery cable, and just run the winch off the main battery when you need it. You'd just have to run the truck and the alternator would help with the power load on the main battery? You might half to upgrade the main battery to an 800 AH but your alternator would handle the load. You could try it with the 650 and maybe that would be enough.

Do you have the specs on the winch"s amperage draw?
I'm just thinking out loud here.
Harbor frieght 12,000 BadLands winch.
Hard to see but it's 300 amps at 12 volts.
I have the crimping tool and the welding lead to make cables. I was just not wanting to open up the winch housing to change the lead that is already there. Making a longer lead cable is nothing I make them all the time for golf carts. I guess I could use a bolt & nut and tie the cable together and wrap it up good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dorado Jim View Post
I think Vette is right, why can't you run the winch from your main battery only, I have an 8000 # warn 8274 winch on my 74 K20, and the one battery handles it fine, just leave the truck running...you would just have to run a heavy welding cable to the winch from your battery or starter solenoid,like Vette said, I would go to the battery....I solder on copper eyelets,and use a top post battery with the adapter to side post cables, then you can add as many cables/wires as you want...I never run the side post cables,if that makes sense..all the cables have eyes...even the one that goes to the starter and ground.....
I hate the newer side post batteries. I would buy the bigger marine size battery with both terminal lugs on the top of it. The truck has no e brakes right now. They cut the cables when they extended the frame I guess. So keeping the truck running isn't a option right now.
That's another job I have to research and figure out.
Thanks guys well I just have to decide which way I want to go with it.
I guess these are the things that make us love these old trucks so much!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote