View Single Post
Old 04-17-2016, 08:18 PM   #158
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Re: Sarge's rattle-can rebuild

Bodywork is tedious! I've used most all of the 1 lb can of Bondo I bought but very little of it is on the truck - trowel it on, sand it off. Find the new low spot and repeat. I've got a DA but I couldn't use much, most of it was blocking with 100-grit on a sanding block, going this way \ all the way across then coming back like this /. Over and over. This repair is on a difficult area for the inexperienced, it being across the crown of the cab where it curves down to the windshield. It's not that a first timer can't do it, it's that a first timer isn't going to get it on the first, second, third, or even fourth coat of mud. After seven or eight coats I've got it close. In the first pic you can see a lot of lighter spots in the filler, the last two rounds I used a little less hardener so I could take my time and spot fill several spots before it got too thick to work with. Next pic it's covered with sealer primer then a few coats of filler primer. I'm done with filler, I'll keep blocking this a few more rounds then paint it.

I didn't make a picture, but I put an 80-grit disc on the DA and took it down to metal in the repair area before I started with filler.
Attached Images

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote