View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 08:40 PM   #181
jeffg1010

Re: "Project S" - My boy Sam's '72 2wd Blazer -The Red Sled

SO, I've been going over this thing and trying to determine what its gonna take to get it ready to cruise some this summer. I pulled the v-belts off and while they are intact, they've seen better days. The power steering belt had a lot of slop and was squealing when you put any steering input into it. Since I was loosening it to try to take out the slack, I figured I'd go ahead and replace. They'll make good spares for down the road if I ever break one on the road but they're getting replaced tomorrow. The starter is doing something weird. Sounds very "metallic" when it cranks. Maybe a shim? The radiator hose looks good. The brakes have a major issue. I think I'll need to replace the booster. It feels like I have no power brakes at all.

So, in summary ... issues starting, issues steering and issues stopping. This is why you shouldn't leave a car sitting unused for years. It was good when I parked it.

While I was under there, I crawled all over looking for rust. I am SHOCKED. I've seen these Blazer (and C10) builds from all over and its usually pretty daunting when you see the hidden rust on the floor pans and lower firewall. This thing is unbelievable. Aside from surface rust, there is no through wall rust. There is one crack on the drivers side outer rocker that appears to be cracked with some rust but it looks SO good underneath.

For years, I've been thinking daily driver, but I have actually considered frame off now. I know that would turn this into a five year build but damn. It is about the best old vehicle I've owned.

It was a good night.
1986 C30 Crewcab - 63K original miles, original paint

Members I have met: mikey531, gcburdic, bashed, burbman69, TonyPieras, Blazester, GCncsuHD, custombuilt67-72, tsnow678, highrpm, PanelDeland, tanman722001, 47thriftmaster, babyblueoval, 68stepbed, JesseWebb, Andy4639, xs-style, TobyArnot, BigOrange, frednoah, brn_agn, k5hart, Graham57a, bhelton, AJohn6, SilverC10, 69CST, '71 Flame, RaceAGMC, Liz, Josh, MattPSU, 68corvair, Chevy350V8, mdeal, ccrorymc, mrhurt73, dmxxpert, Custom68, 84GMC, BionicABs1, BigBlockBurris, Ebfabman, ATP...
jeffg1010 is offline   Reply With Quote