View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 02:20 AM   #5
bcoke

Re: Advice Needed on Diff Re-Gear/Tranny Swap Dilemma

Wow thanks a ton for all the info everybody!

I think I agree on the 4500 vs 3500 deal - I've been researching it for a few weeks and was originally set on the 4500. Then I met a guy who offered to rebuild me a 3500 (he's done it a bunch and swears by it), and I heard the 3500s drive a little easier while the 4500s drive like dump trucks. But I think in the end I'd rather go for the tougher 4500 because I would be pissed if I had a 3500 rebuilt and still blew it out.

@tjsblazer: Thanks for the rundown, and I'll definitely take a look at your build thread! And yeah I'm getting the feeling that it would be cheaper and less time to gear down...I just hate to spend $2000 giving up torque instead of putting that towards my love of manual. But budget is definitely a concern...I'll have to think that one over some more.

@spf79: I actually only recently heard about the 700r4. I know it's one less gear than the 4500 but seems to stack up similarly (and actually even a little better) with my parameters to the 4500 in terms of highway speeds and RPMs. Any advice on differentiators between the 700r4 and the 4500?
bcoke is offline   Reply With Quote