View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #8
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Re: 1972 Highlander -The making of a daily driver

Another long day. Seems like very step forward is two steps back and having read many threads here over the years, I'm glad it doesn't just happen to me!

We started the day off painting the rally wheels. Wet sanded them a few days ago to the get them nice and smooth. Base coat with argent silver, did the back with black, then three coats of clear. Was tempted to do rattle can, but I have a compressor and paint guns. Just hate the cleanup!

Checked on the ac/heater control, in anticipation of setting up the AC down the road. Posted here, as I'm having all sorts of trouble getting the hookup correct.

The fan switch would only work on low. This meant pulling the freshly installed glovebox liner to get at the resistor mounted right behind the glovebox.

Why don't I think of this stuff before hand? Temporary loss of cabin pressure!

Sent my son to O'Reilly's to pick up a new resistor and drop off the freshly painted rally wheels at Discount Tire for some new paws.

Installed the new resistor, tested the fan, still only low. Took the fan switch out, up to O'Reilly's. Roger spent a good thirty minutes (this is why I like O'Reillys) trying to located a new one. Then asked if I had sent my son up earlier to pick up a new resistor (after he tested the fan switch with an ohm meter). Said he may have given him the wrong resistor. Checked, was pretty sure, ordered a new one, should be in tomorrow.

Hopefully that will take care of the fan blower speeds, as it only works on low right now.

Picked up the rally wheels from Discount Tire.

Next, we set out to spray in the bedliner. Mike, the guy that painted my 78, used Gator liner in it and it turned out great, so we picked up this kit from the paint shop when we picked up the paint supplies for the rally wheels.

That stuff is nasty. All over my hands. It was like a kid that gets jelly on his fingers, then goes to every counter in the kitchen leaving a trail.

We prepped the bed. Power spray, light wet sanding. My youngest son in the pic, spraying out the bed. Oldest son in the background, who stopped by to give "pops" and helping hand today.

Guy at the paint store said one kit would do the bed. He was wrong. After fussing with this stuff and having the clean out the spray gun multiple times (before finally giving up and thinning it out some with some paint thinner...it's thick as molasses), we got about two/thirds of the bed done. Will have to pick up another kit tomorrow.

No good deed goes unpunished seems to be the motto of the day. Good Lord, I'm tired. These twelve hour days are catching up with me. Light, I see light at the end of the tunnel!
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote