View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017, 02:46 PM   #7
MASTERBrian

Re: 1960 wiring questions

Hopefully the third/fourth time of trying to post this info will work....

The Alt is an SI alt and somewhere in the 40amp range, I believe. The wiring under the dash and somewhat in the engine bay is a mess to say the least, so the wiring diagrams, though somewhat helpful aren't real helpful on diagnosing what everything is. I also do have a neutral safety, but no clue if it works or if it's wired correctly. I tried posting a link to another thread from this forum regarding them, but now that's gone in the mess of posts not going through. I'm wondering if it matters what wire goes were on it and also how to wire for reverse lights, my 1960 didn't come with them.

That said, I hope this is the rest and if not, I'll fill it in later when I remember what I typed earlier....

- Pink wire from ignition switch goes to the HEI and I believe 12gauge is fine. It seems to make a junction at the fuse panel.

- The TACH wire from HEI, I'll add it to the firewall connection and worry about it later.

- The purple wire goes from the S terminal of starter to the Neutral Safety and then to the ign switch. It's 12 gauge.

- From the battery they had a cable going down to the starter BATT terminal and a smaller gauge wire going to the ALT BATT terminal. I'm assuming that's ok, even though the diagram shows coming from Starter to Alt. Seems cleaner doing it the way it was done. Since I am internally regulated at the alt, I'm guessing the horn relay doesn't come into play as much. In fact, they had spliced into the red wire entering the firewall near the master cylinder and ran a heavy red wire to the starter....at least that's where I think it went. I'll have to figure out how I wish to clean that up.

- From the Alt, they had the Red wire from the 2 wire plug jumping to the BATT terminal. The other wire was cut. Not sure of their logic there. My understanding is, since I have a Generator Light(might be nice to keep) and a battery volt meter gauge, I need to do figure this out as well. My understanding is the Brown wire should be 18guage and goes to the accessory power at the ign switch after a junction at the fuse panel. The red wire from this two wire plug goes to the light/gauge, but not sure how to wire both. Any tips there might be helpful. I can post pics of my gauge later if need be. I'm also trying to figure out why they seem to have added a separate light switch for just this gauge....again I'll try to post a pic.

- From the starter, I'll also run a fusible link(14gauge?) and a 10gauge wire to the junction/fuse block under the dash and then to the ign switch.

I know I forgot some stuff since I tried posting before lunch, but I'll follow up later.

Last edited by MASTERBrian; 03-17-2017 at 03:04 PM.
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote