View Single Post
Old 07-03-2023, 09:57 AM   #90
JohnIL

More Shiny Things

Since we have family in town for Independence Day, I only had one day to play in the garage over the weekend. I didn't want to start any major projects, so I took advantage of the free day to add some more shiny stuff to the truck.

Chrome Rear Sport Bumper
I'm not 100% sure what kind of bumper the truck came with originally, but sometime shortly after it was purchased (judging by the original paint color behind the bumper), someone installed an inexpensive steel work bumper. It's similar to the heavy towing bumpers you see on farm trucks, but it's not as heavy. The bumper wasn't factory installed and I don't think it was a dealer install either. It wasn't bolted on. Instead, it was welded (and I use that term loosely) to the frame using chunks of bar stock. If the truck had ever been hit from behind, the bumper almost certainly would have come lose and destroyed the rear of the bed. Credit where credit is due, at least it was mounted straight and it fit the truck reasonably well.

Being tired of the monochome blacked out bumper, I ordered up a chrome sport bumper from LMC. It matches the front bumper I installed last fall.

The bumper installation was pretty straight forward. However, there was a problem with the brackets. They bolted to the bumper OK and they bolted to the truck frame OK. But, they positioned the new bumper way too close to the rear of the truck, like actually touching the rear quarter panels. So, I slotted the mounting holes in the brackets. That allowed the bumper to slide backward about 1/2". I think this is a bit lower (because of the downward angle of the brackets) than intended, but I like the way it fits. It hangs about 3/8" below the rear corners of the quarter panels. It's just low to provide some modest protection to the sheet metal.

License Plate Mount
I considered ordering a factory style license plate mount, but I really don't like the way they hang off the top of the bumper. So, I opted to body mount the license plate just below the tailgate. This allowed space for a chrome plate frame without crowding the tailgate. I'll come back later and add a license plate light below the bumper, shining up at the plate.

New Taillights
The original taillights were in decent condition, considering they are almost 60 years old. But, as I mentioned in my last update, they had some functional issues and the housings were a bit dinged up. So, my LMC order included new taillight kits for both sides. If you haven't replaced your taillights yet, I highly recommend it. The installation was quick and easy. And, the new lights look and work fantastic.

The new shiny parts completely transformed the rear of the truck. It looks more like street cruiser now and less like an old work truck. Two enthusiastic thumbs up! Before and After pictures included below.

New Thermostat
I mentioned in my last update that the engine runs a bit hotter than I would like. Late last week, I spent an evening changing out the thermostat. I speculated that the truck had a 194 degree thermostat installed. In reality, it was a 180 degree unit. I installed a 160 degree replacement and went for a drive. The temperature never budged over 170 degrees. I won't celebrate until I get a chance to test it out on a 90+ degree day, but so far, I'm optimistic. I also have a Speedway Motor's DIY fan shroud kit to install. That should help keep things cool too. More to come on this one.

What's Next?
This week's LMC order included a few more shiny bits. I have a new rear view mirror to replace the rusty original. And, I have a set of reverse lights. The truck was ordered as cheaply as possible. The original owner didn't spring for reverse lights. I will consider this a modernization/safety upgrade. I also have the fan shroud kit that I mentioned above. That installation will take some fiddling, but I think it will be worth it.
Attached Images

Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=838676
JohnIL is offline   Reply With Quote