View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 08:27 AM   #13
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Ok folks explain me this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
There are no relays in a stock fuse box, just taps that are powered through the ignition switch when it is in the run position. I also like to run an hei off a relay. Power from the battery to the relay, power from the relay to the hei bat terminal, new wire from the key switch or from the firewall to the relay and a ground from the relay to the firewall. This bypasses all the old wiring and ensures good voltage to the hei.
Jimmy
I haven't tried it yet but I believe the old resistance wire is more than enough to operate the relay. The relays only require a few milliamps to close.

I like stovebolts method best, because the key receives battery voltage and delivers it directly to the HEI BAT terminal. The relay is another possibility for ignition failure.
The best use for relays on our trucks IMO is the headlight relay mod. It takes the burden off the headlight switch of carrying the total headlight voltage and eliminates the voltage drop for the headlights which will give noticeably brighter lights.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote