View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Rear brake upgrade: 11” to 13”

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeduren View Post
Can you run us through the process of tightening down the spindle nuts etc when putting the drum/hub back on?
Just tighten the inboard spindle nut until your elbow clicks then install the lock washer and outer spindle nut. Tighten the outer spindle until the veins in your forehead stick out.

Hehe, just like asking my mother in-law for a recipe. She doesn’t measure anything just a dash of this and sprinkle of that. In all reality just tighten the inboard spindle nut enough to set the bearing preload then back it off a tad. The outer nut just needs to be good and snug. I’ve been messing with full floaters since I was in high school so I never really torque anything on these after the first few, just go by feel.

One recommendation is to replace the spindle nut assembly when you have these full-floaters apart as the locking ring/washer dealeo tends to get pretty beat up after being taken a part even once. The Dorman Part number for the spindle nut kit is 05310, Napa’s part number is BK 6301660

Here is a wasted lock ring dealeo. Don’t reuse one that looks like this as I have seen rear hub/wheel assemblies separate from the vehicle when they fail and the spindle nuts back off.

Here is the new Dorman spindle nut kit. Best $45 per side you can spend when bolting a full-floater back together.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote