View Single Post
Old 05-04-2016, 10:03 AM   #298
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Polar Bear Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiersh2 View Post
I have just started down the L18 road. What I am doing is a little different than the folks on this forum are doing but this looks like the best place to ask the questions.
My tow vehicle is a 1999 GMC PU with the 6.0L and broken exhaust manifold studs.
I just picked up a 8.1 that I just pulled out of a 3/4 ton van. What the motor has is all of the accessory hardware that is desirable if this was going into an older truck. So the question is do keep this configuration or convert to the correct setup my truck was optioned for. I am inclined to convert and possibly trade my brackets for the more common versions.
Welcome to the forums!

On a GMT800 you could use either brackets but if you plan to use OEM A/C lines you would be better off using the GMT800 brackets (low mount A/C compressor). You shouldn’t have any problem finding someone to trade brackets with you as the van/medium duty brackets are the most desirable for swappers. If you haven’t already joined the group, there is a nice group on Facebook called the “8.1L Info Swap Classifieds”. Lots of guys there always looking for brackets and Ed over there has done a couple L18’s in GMT800 trucks.

Also, if you have already found it…. I put together a complete thread on all things 8.1L HERE

Good luck with you project..
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote