View Single Post
Old 07-24-2018, 01:04 PM   #33
oem4me

Re: Painting "CHEVROLET" tailgate lettering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclerodz View Post
original stenciling was horrible at best. If you want it clean show quality, this is how I did it. I painted and cleared the tailgate. then I masked the letters at the top of the stamping, not in it like factory. Spray couple light coats to keep paint thickness minimal, color sand with block to remove any from top surface, then reclear entire tailgate.
More of this. I did mine nearly the same way, the difference being no clear coat before, between, or after. Decent quality white spray can enamel applied sparingly, directly on blue base color.
- IMPORTANT- Notice the masking technique. Quickly masked with tape edges overhanging the letters giving a "soft" edge not unlike like the lame factory stencils. I could've almost left it alone at this point for a true factory slop look.
Next, I "blocked" the fuzzy edges off with a rubber sanding block wrapped with T-shirt cloth and rubbing compound, NOT sandpaper. Far more control and less risk of burning through this base color way.
I did end up burning through on some spots though, but this was intentional, as I was mimicking natural wear and adding fake patina to some degree. The rest of the truck's paint is heavily worn and a pristine tailgate would just look wrong. I easily could have stopped rubbing before burning through.
Attached Images

oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote