View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 05:23 PM   #315
studeclunker

Re: What did you do WITH your truck today?

Well, took the old man on a seven hundred mile jaunt. We went from Fawn Lodge to Lincoln Ca to pick up a '54 Spartan Imperial Mansion. She's a 43' park model trailer. No pictures, sadly. My tablet has died. Actually the fourth ttrip madte to retrieve this trailer. The previous three were to prepare the old lady for the road. She had been residing in the countryside outside of Lincoln since 1969, as far as we can tell.

The truck handled the load with aplomb. We had some serious side winds in Lincoln through to Chico, a hundred miles or so. They made the old lady wag her tail like a happy dog! the truck's suspension didn't much like that. Especially since the trailer is a bit under twice the weight of the truck. All the same, went slow and let everyone pass where I could. Had to replace a bad wheel in Los Molinos, about two thirds of the trip home. Other than that, a long, and uneventful trip. I like those.

Once he was on home turf though, the old man decided to be naughty. I had everything needed for a week's work loaded up, along with my utility box trailer hitched on, headed back to Oak Run, when the volt meter pegged at discharge. Figuring something had just come unplugged, I pulled over to do a (hopefully) quick fix. Suffice it to say it wasn't a quick fix and I was stranded for three days. Thankfully my friend Dave loaned me the Studebaker truck I traded for this truck and I was able to get all my personal things, tools, and trailer back to the lodge. Hence, I was able to deal with the situation with some comfort at least.

Best laid plans, etc, etc, etc...

studeclunker is offline   Reply With Quote