View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 10:20 AM   #100
OutlawDrifter

Re: Francis the Tow Pig - 1949 GMC 250 Dually

No new pictures, yet, but I have done a little here and there on Francis.

I cut out the factory cross member that held the bearing for the 2 piece drive shaft. Welded in some of the 2x1 1/8" tubing over the top of where it was, will serve the same purpose and give me another point to secure the exhaust. Wire wheeled the back half of the frame and treated it with the Metal Blast again, I let it sit longer this time before washing it off with the same results.

At this point the frame is ready to be painted. Hopefully I'll get that knocked out tonight so it can dry over the weekend. Then I plan on running brake and fuel lines. Final paint and assembly on cab and engine/trans, then they can go back in.

The custom bed drawings are in the hands of my local sheet metal company to slip roll and break the steel for me. I asked him to price both 12ga and 14ga steel sheet. Either should hold up well for what I'm trying to accomplish, but the added structure of the 12ga would be nice.

In other news, I ordered a 1940 Ford Deluxe Steering wheel from Southern Rods. When it arrived I was not pleased at what I unboxed. Not only were the stainless rings poorly attached and jagged on their cut ends, but the lower left portion of the wheel was bent towards center. Not what I expect from a $220 steering wheel. After getting some poor customer service trying to get an RGA number to return the wheel, I was shocked that they wanted me to pay the shipping back to them, and when it arrives, they will refund the costs.....not impressed. I like to give other companies business when possible, but it's just not worth the hassle sometimes. I asked them to just refund all of my money and I will go spend $20-30 more elsewhere for the same wheel and less hassle. I've never had any issues like this with Jegs, Summit Racing, or Speedway.

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote