View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 07:01 AM   #23
screaminchevypickup
Laid Back

Re: Color sand all panels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
X2 on using Meguire's paper. If you're after a totally flat and slick surface, just using 2000 or 2500 won't "cut" it. I like to start with 1000 grit on a long/skinny durablock, then guide coat and resand with 2000 grit wrapped around a 3M soft pad. I finish up with 2500, sanding in a different direction than I did with the 2000. The 1000 grit is rough enough to cut the orange peel all the way out, where finer paper will "round over" the top of the texture without completely removing it.

Straight out of the gun with orange peel, notice the distorted reflection.

Partway through sanding with 1000 grit. You can see the texture being removed.

Guide coated and partially sanded with 2000 grit. The 1000 grit scratches are easily seen so you know when you've sanded enough to remove them.

Hazy shine after sanding with 2500. It doesn't take much to buff it out from here.

After buffing, the reflection is totally clear and free from distortion.

Posted via Mobile Device
I agree you need to start with 1000 grit then move out to 2500 or 3000!!! That way you don't spend 6 hrs on one panel
Posted via Mobile Device

Direct dealers for..

Vintage Air, Porterbuilt, Billet Specialties,Budnik wheels ,eddie motorsports, raceline wheels, intro wheels, Dakota Digital, precision, unisteer, Trimparts, and many many more... Laid Back Recreations.. Full restoration shop and full paint and body..

Kyle

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=574629
screaminchevypickup is offline   Reply With Quote