View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 01:50 PM   #154
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside BILLYBOB

Not much done today, but still a result that had me chuckling, as I did something new again, making it up as I went.

Which is something I always like to do.

My mate Martin who is doing up a 1965 C10 needed a glove box inner, as his original had long since rotted away, being made from paper mache, or something similar.

I had volunteered to make him a new one from ally plate or thin sheet metal in exchange for the side mirrors he had removed from his truck a few months ago.

Started by rummaging around the garage till I found a good base to work with. The back of an old steel filing cabinet (I think that's what it was) that was probably around 1mm thick.

Next up, empty out my glove box to see what I am working with.

Removed it by unscrewing 5 screws.

Laid out the steel plate, carefully copied all the reference points on the made glove box, then connected the dots with a red marker and also shaded in the areas that needed cutting away.

One Angle grinder, a 2mm blade and three minutes later we have this, still needed working back with a hand file to smooth off the edges.

At this point I went up to the house to make a coffee, and then walked back to behind the garage where we grow our vegetables, and where I planted a Conference pear and Star King apple tree two years ago.

Last year each tree presented me with two fruits, this year the pear has retained about 15 pears and the apple tree has about 25 apples which range in size from what you see in my hand, to some a bit bigger still. These apples are pleasantly sweet from the smallest to the largest, which pleases me immensely. So I ate a few apples, feeling very smug, then came back in to carry on with the box.

Back in the garage the next session of rummaging started, to find the right bits of wood to use to bend the plate to shape.

Once all the sides were folded, it stayed in shape without any encouragement. I WAS SURPRISED.

I then quickly clamped, and tack welded the tabs rather than rivet them as mine has been done.

Ground back, the last job was to give it a coat of primer, mostly as rust preventative. Martin can paint the outside if he wants. I know he wants to carpet the inside with thin automotive carpet.

I then hoped onto the bike and rode the 15 miles to Martins to deliver and collect......

Got there, and he had removed the heavy agricultural bumper from the truck and had just finished welding in a new rear roll pan, which looks great.

After a chat and him sparaying some red oxide primer over the new roll pan, we lifted and refitted the tailgate, which I have to say fits nicely. Still needs some fine tuning.

Last thing once we had stood back, enjoyed it, and gotten the approval of his wife, Amanda, was for me to grab my well earned mirrors and come home, as I still had some jobs to do at home as well.

And that is where today with the truck ended.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote