View Single Post
Old 06-04-2014, 09:57 PM   #89
Lowl!f3

Re: HOW TO: Crossmember sectioning ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
I've been reading lots of threads on Sectioning, Z-Frame, and Notching the Crossmember.
It took me awhile to visualize what is happening with each option, and I really like the Sectioning method the best for one major reason. The Crossmember Notch, and Z'-Frame both raise the motor. Or I should say; lower the body and frame down without lowering the motor in relation to the drop.
But with the Sectioning of the Crossmember, the motor drops along with the frame and body.
For many of us 60-66 guys, this works out better. Because a lot of us running an HEI are already right up against the firewall with the cap. Lowering the body and frame without lowering the motor could cause us some issues with our distributor caps hitting the firewall.
If you move the engine forward. You can solve that issue and create newer ones with possible recessing radiator or going with electric fans. Everything causes some type of issue. Sectioning will cause steering issues. Either way you choose it can be worked out. I'm going to section my xmember without Z.