View Single Post
Old 06-14-2015, 06:55 PM   #34
iowaboynca

Re: "1950 GMC" -Charlotte

Just a small update, not much to post, but i'm still at it...sort of

Update:
Called Speedway earlier this week for a status. They said they were expecting their shipment within a week and half and I should see some activity within a week after that so fingers crossed. Wanna get this suspension!

In the meantime i've been going over the welders series instructions and setting a good ride height. Just making sure I've got a pretty good handle when i go after it. Nothing is stopping me from tacking in the x-member but I guess I'd like to have the components here as well (that's what i'm waiting for.)

Some good news. While doing some research I found this article: http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...st-comparison/

The reason i reference this article, I've been debating upgrading the cam back and forth for probably a couple of months.
Pros: More HP...duh

Cons: Too much HP for rest of drive train. Cost. Need to upgrade heads/rockers, i.e. cost

Now the whole intent is some respectable power, hence the V-8 but its going to be a daily driver, so nothing overwhelming. Going back to the article, the section that caught my eye was the area around the 6.0l cam into the 5.3. So I started to search ...So i find a used 6.0L cam w/lifters on ebay for $75 all together! what the heck, I bid on it and won and it just showed up yesterday. I confirmed the part number and its the one I want so i'm a little excited about that. Get a little more lift and little more duration but don't think i'll need to replace the springs.

So know the little hiccup...
Like a doorknob i ordered the wrong brake rotors for my rearend. For some reason I kept thinking i had a '03 vs. the '98 that I do have and ordered the '03 which are about an 1/8" too big in diameter. In post mortem, and checking all my notes from research '02 is when they changed to IRS so in my mind i kept telling my self look 03 and older...i know its weird and it stuck. So after review the axle tag i confirmed i had a 98 and sent back to Brake Performance to replace, minus shipping and restocking

So in summary, i think i'm getting close to getting some suspension parts on the truck so the cab is gonna have to come off. That means major cleanup in the garage. Thats what ive been working on all morning before the heat shows up. I think i got it in a good place. So still tinkering, still researching still having fun!