View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 01:33 AM   #8
Missyblue

Re: help/advice on planning please 1957 truck build swap

thank you for all the info. and yes through guidance I have discovered I was working towards the wrong path and my 1st job has been discovered and decided to be the front end. my truck was purchased as one of those said box of parts but thankfullymost the sheet metal is in place but they cut all the wiring and removed the engine and tranny. so I just need to remove the front fenders to start on job 1 suspension. I have a local shop full tilt street rods Im
considering and hoping will help with the mustang ii. my dad can weld and do some mechanic stuff but we aren't sure we want to tackle that job ourselves as it is important safety wise we we will decide after more research and visiting said shop. and thanks for the lug comment I have thought of that and am trying to pick a mustang ii that provides the right option so I can match I don't have friends at the tire shop to hook me up.

fuel tank has been removed and I'm researching under bed options for safety and fumes for sure. my 4 year old is helping build this one bolt at a time so safety is paramount too haha. I like the idea of the filler out the license plate.but have read good and bad. mustang out the bed will be the 2nd choice.

does anyone know specific years of steering columns that woukd work? I have seen 70-80 vans and older trucks?? what years if you might know? i want to go automatic for better room for us 3 to travel so my original manual column isn't going to work.

thanks for suggesting I keep the van I will leave it intact and only part out once our build is complete we do have a place for that thankfully.

I have a wiring kit so wasn't planning on using the vans but I'm not sure mine is right yet either but that's another story. starting with the truck harness and then will continue to add the pieces needed for the mods I make. have to figure out how many circuits I should do. this was my 1st plan till I realised have to remove half the wiring to put in mustang ii and engine so that's now on hold till later.

thanks for making me think and spending the time to share your knowledge. trying to educate myself before I go talk to the mechanic
Missyblue is offline   Reply With Quote