View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 08:42 AM   #19
Missyblue

Re: help/advice on planning please 1957 truck build swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
the welding portion of a mustang II is actually not that scary, if you can use a tape measure its actually pretty satisfying to burn in heavy parts to heavy frame rails. its actually easier to use too much heat than not enough, if that makes sense. too much heat will undercut the weld, easier to see, not enough sits on top mocking you, like a rolled out piece of bubble gum.

avoid part collecting is the brunt of my advice, chances are the parts you buy months ahead of time may not fit when it comes down to it, and there is nothing quite like a large forboding group of parts staring at you, waiting to be installed. it can be a motivation killer!
thank you for that. yes my father has welded plenty on the farm but that doesn't necessarily have to be precise and I know nothing and have lots to learn haha. But that's the hope if we get a good kit with good instructions and support from the vendor I think it woukd be great just want to make sure we have the necessary tools and help.

and I appreciate the advice on part collecting. I do have a few things already staring at me haha but mostly this research is to know options available so I can learn a rough cost to get this done and so I can start watching for things. our local salvage yard is a bit pricey so watching other places for parts. for ex. rhey want around $500 for a Ford 9 rear and I have seen them on Craigslist at times for $200.

can't wait for better weather. summer plans is hopefully front end and wiring work.
Missyblue is offline   Reply With Quote