View Single Post
Old 08-23-2006, 06:28 PM   #19
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: caddy 500 vs gm crate 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Mike7 View Post
but engine mounts for a BBC were probably an option for you truck, and makes an easy fit...same with headers, i/e no specialized things that cost dollars to make and fab up.
Like everything else BBC related, the motor mounts are stupid expensive.
In the 67 - 72 trucks, there were 2 styles of BBC mounts. The 68 - 71 style, and the 72 only.
The early ones, the stands are pretty cheap. Anyone should be able to get a set to there dorr for less than 50 bucks, however, once you locate new motor mounts for them, you'll pay through the nose, since they were discontinued like 20 years ago or something liek that.
Then, in 72 they made a much better interlocking set up. The mounts themselves are dirt cheap, and can be had at any parts house in america. May have to order them, but you'll get them in a day or two. HOWEVER, the one year only towers... you guessed it.... STUPID expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Mike7 View Post
I talking about simplicity of the setup. I've made MM's out of 2inch box tubing, but (probably like you) I have a chapsaw, plasma cutter, 4 different welders, mill and a lathe, so nothing is out of reach, but over time I'd rather not use any of those tools mentioned to just put an engine in a vehicle.
I own none of those tools. I DID use a plazma cutter to modify my engine stands, but it could have been done with a cutt off wheel or even a hack saw if you have no air tools. I made sure to do my swap with 100% GM parts for many reasons, but to include the fact that my efforts can be duplicated by anyone with basic hand tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisH View Post
Wouldn't the front accessories for the caddy be roughly the same as a BBC?

Longhorn Man, what did you mean by the ratings being net? Is the vehicle weight subtracted from the numbers or something? How would you go about getting the gross values?
Thanks for all the replies so far guys, they've been really informative. Lets try and not turn this into a pissing match[/QUOTE]
The accessory brackets for a caddy are still on 90% of the caddys that you'll find in the junk yard. They have 2 bassic styles with very little variations, so you don't have to match everything up and may so much attention, if you get the early style, it'll match all the early style, and all the later style, willmatch the later style.
BBC acc brackets will make you want to cry when you price them. I've seen healthy SBC COMPLETE engines got for less. (this is one of the areas where I justify the "stupid money" statement I made earlier.
Price them, you'll see what I'm talking about.
Also, most any junk yard you walk into you'll find caddy accessorys. Good luck locating BBC ANYTHING in a junk yard.
As for the power output ratings, earlier engines (up to 71 or 72) were measured Gross... as are crate motors. When doing that, you can leave stuff off that you'll have in the vehicle. Stuff like air filters, exhaust, power steering pump, alt pump, loosen the belt for the power steering pump...
NET, ratings, which has been in use from the 71 or 72 chainge, up to date, is measured with EVERTHING on it, that is required for the vehicle. Full exhaust, including cattilitic converter if aplicable, all the vcaume operated wiz bang gizmos, all the accessories... etc.
It really drops the numbers considerably.
There is also "power at the wheels" which is when you pull your completed vehicle on the dyno and the power loss of the tranny and diff are figured into the equation. But no engines are advertised like that in stock form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSC's76 View Post
In the real world a 454 is a better engine and capible of more then the 500.
I can't agree with that statement.
I'll agree with a variant of that statement though...
there's more aftermarket parts, and some of the stock parts are cheaper for a 454 verses the 500.
I have NEVER in my life, opened up a 100,000 mile chevy big block, and seen a hint of cross hatch on the cylinder walls. This is almost common in the high nickle castings of the 425/472/500 cad motors. The cads are cast with an amazing lack of flash, which means less bits of crap to break off later.
If the chevy big block was supirior, then GM woulda painted it blue and installed it in the caddy, and saved a butt load of money. However, the BBC wasn't up to the task. Is the cad motor perfect, hell no, not by far. But I will never again own a BBC onless it is for numbers matching reasons only.

I'm not trying to degrade anyone's opinions, nor a pissing match. Just making sure some of the facts are clear... and most of what I have said here are facts, not a biased opinion.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote