View Single Post
Old 06-02-2004, 04:58 PM   #13
PHOENIX

When the clutch set was put in '98 did you have the flywheel resurfaced then?
If so, then I dont know why it would have the heat marks if only driven a few times.
Makes me wonder why the throwout bearing is worn if it has so little use.

If the truck was sitting all that time the pressure plate was putting pressure on the disc (clamping). But I dont think you would have a problem if you kept the old one in and used it. I dont know if the pressure plate clamping power gets weaker from clamping and not clamping or from staying clamped. I know when you get a pressure plate it is not clamped and when you tighten all the bolts the pressure plate applies pressure on the disc and clamps down.

Based on whats your saying I would resurface the flywheel and use the old clutch set with new throwout bearing. If you have the money to spare and dont feel like messing with the clutch later on put a new clutch set in now while its easy. I have used a few clutch kits from checker ($130). I had one for 4-years and another for 3-years and they never gave me trouble. But I did get 2-duds in there that where a headache to take everything back apart again just to do the job twice. Thats why this time I bought a better one.

Its kind of a toss up, you have heat marks on your flywheel and a worn throwout bearing yet the clutch set has very little use. Maybe the throwout bearing wasn’t replaced during the '98 clutch job. Its up to you on what you do, it’s a hard call.

If I were you I would stay away from the Beck/Arnley brand clutches.
A lot of clutch places I talked to liked the Luk brand clutches and I was told they are a leading clutch manufacturer. The Zoom clutch I bought has Luk stamped on the pressure plate. I was also told by at least two clutch guys that Luk manufactures the center force clutches too.

Last edited by PHOENIX; 06-02-2004 at 05:01 PM.
PHOENIX is offline   Reply With Quote