View Single Post
Old 05-25-2018, 03:11 PM   #15
rgunlock

Re: Adding my own electrical issue to the mix

Well I'm back with another electrical issue in my 78 K15 that is stumping me. The 5A fuse for my gauges keeps blowing out. Tried a 7.5A fuse but it blew also. The gauges all worked fine for a couple months after I started driving the truck daily.

My first thought was that those copper "fingers" from the cluster circuit panel were delaminating and maybe the harness connector wasn't making good contact with them all. Carefully glued them all back to the plastic in correct position and re-did another wiring connection that looked shaky. Fuse still blows right away.

So, I started removing gauges, replace fuse, start truck, fuse blows. Removing the last gauge I realized that the fuse was blowing when I released the clutch after starting the truck. The fuse still blew with no electrical gauges installed.

So, I jumpered across the harness connection for the clutch pedal neutral safety switch, replaced the fuse and it looked like all was good. Reinstalled all the gauges and still fine. Then the fuse blew again a couple miles down the road next time I drove it.

I have no idea how the neutral safety switch would be involved with the gauge circuit, but it certainly seems to be aggravating the problem. I should have some time this 3-day weekend to tear the dash apart again, so I'm hoping to collect a few suggestions on what to check for.

This is a new AAW fuse block and wiring harnesses, and the neutral safety switch was a NOS ebay find. The only non-stock guage is one of those aftermarket gauges that combine a tachometer with the fuel guage (nice piece by the way). It doesn't appear to have anything to do with the problem.

Thanks --Rick

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote