View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 03:02 PM   #33
trac209

Re: EagleChief's 1971 Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleChief View Post
Hopefully you guys are right. I have a buddy that's going to come over and help me do a compression test. Not sure when he'll have time, hopefully soon. He's got a few projects going on as well. As far as being humid, I'd think that after running/driving for 30-40 minutes, that the condensation would burn off and the "steam" would disappear.

Time is my biggest setback. My son will be 3 in April, and we have a 7 week old daughter now. So, by the time I get home, Mama is ready to hand over the kids and take a break... which is perfectly fine with me. She needs the break. The downside of that is, my time to spend on the truck(s) gets shoved to the back burner.

I know how it goes with fixing one thing, then another - Our '73 F100, I replaced the water pump on it, then figured out the heater core was leaking. So, it's unhooked for now until I it can be replaced.

I do have a temperature gun, not exactly sure if it's IR, but I have used it around the house to check the a/c temps at the vents and that sort of thing. Can I just use that and point it at each plug area, or different points around the engine to see what the temperature is?
An ir temp gun isn’t going to tell you anything head gasket wise, what you can do is check plugs. If one is abnormal to the rest that will be a better indicator. Do and oil change and look to see how much oil comes out and it’s condition. As well as check the coolant for oil and or signs compression gasses are entering the system. Another thing you have to address is the radiator first as without a working cooling system the rest is a moot point. Blowing both head gaskets at the same time is pretty rare unless you drove it until it literally boiled out.
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote