View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #5
rfmaster

Re: dual tanks with late model EFI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
How about a dual tanks setup W/O the intank fuel pumps. Will an aftermarket pump work well enough to pull from the selector valve and send the pressure to a EFI system? I have an 84 with dual tanks and would like to go to an electric pump system.
In my TBI conversion I used external lift pump to pull fuel through the tank selector valve. Generally, lift pump works best when it is placed at lowest fuel level expected in the tank. So, placement of the fuel pump is somewhat critical.

Back to original post - for TPI conversion you can probably get external TPI rated fuel pump (for example Walbro GSL-392), remove TBI in tank fuel pumps by installing a jumper (fuel immersion rated) hose in their place. This way external TPI pump can lift fuel through the selector valve and it is not subject to fuel pump (output) pressure! Just be aware that external fuel pumps are nosier and can overheat under extreme conditions. Since you already have EFI tanks fuel starvation is minimized, thus surge tank is not really required. I should have read your post a bit closer.

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote