View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #19
cbenney

Re: 68 Chevy Pickup Drum Brakes

Hey Everyone!

Good Saturday to you all!

Success!! After 3 1/2 hours I got the drum off!! I ended up prying if off from the back as the adjuster was rusted frozen... to be honest, after a couple of hours, I was not feeling too good about my chances... Before my success, I took off the other wheel to see if I could get a better look at the insides, as I was having real trouble getting to the adjuster... well, to my suprise, the brakes (shoes and everything) were missing.... I did find a couple of parts for brakes in a box on the front seat when I got the truck, but i did not think some already tried working on the brakes... My guess is that the person who attempted to work on the brakes could not get the other drum off and gave up... "reason why it needs brakes and bearings"....

Well, I wont babble on about this.... Here is where I stand now...

I am planning on replacing everything (first it will be the inner workings of the brakes ((Shoes, springs, and Cylinder))..... I tried to get the wheel cyclinders off but am having trouble removing them... on one side, I ended up stripping the bolt... pic below.... but I also can not get to the other bolt due because the brake line is in the way.... I will need to research how to disconnect these.... and will need to buy a torch to remove the stripped bolt. (I saw on Rick Restorations on the History channel.. hehe.... that if you heat up bolts they come off easier...)

Overall, a very exciting day as for a large part of it, I did not think I had a chance of removing that darn drum!!!

Thanks everyone for your help...

Chris B
Attached Images

cbenney is offline   Reply With Quote