View Single Post
Old 06-09-2018, 02:56 AM   #16
toolboxchev

Re: Chevy Roller block years???

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod 80 View Post
99% of all blocks after 88 are roller cam compatible . Even if the motor cam with a flat tappet cam , the blocks will still accept the roller lifters and retainers . All have the fuel pump boss , but some are not drilled for a fuel pump rod . A machine shop/ engine builder can do this for you though . These blocks are pretty tough . I have a 2 bolt that made 360hp to the rear tires and i've run it 7,200 rpm . I've got 195 passes on that motor .I run 150 shot on it and it makes around 500 at the tires . This is with a cast crank , powdered metal vortec rods and 2256 trw forged pistons . 880 vortec blocks are supposed to be the primo block , but don't shy away from the 638 's or 2 bolts . I have 4 of them and i like'em alot . No rear main seal leak , roller lifters , one piece pan gasket , easy to obtain and prices are usually reasonable . Anyway 87-98 are the years .
Good to know, I just scored a 638 block with a 2 bolt main and am planing a budget build. All I could find wrong with it is that the PO blew a intake gasket, the wear on the crank was minimal to say the least.

Old Chevys never die, they get Re-Borne!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote