View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
foamypirate

Re: Increased MPG for carbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSE_NERO View Post
I feel like there's a way to get more than 15-16 mpg. That carb tweak I mentioned, when the guy learned about it from the guy that told him how to do it, told the writer he was getting 150 mpg. I'm just looking to get in the 20-30 mpg range. And I truly believe this is possible, as other stories have surfaced similar to the carb tweak one. Students at Kansas University bought a wrecked F1 car and used the motor in it that was pushing around 890 hp? I think that's what they're pushing, anyways, they took that motor, built their own frame, and crafted a body around it, and it was getting 115 mpg. I feel like I can get my goals with builds like this happening, and still get a decent 300-500 hp.

However, I also have been told what you told me a few times. So I dunno. If I can make it, I can, if I hit what everyone else is hitting, then I'll just have to accept that, haha. Most likely at that point, I'll just switch to EFI and try to increase gas mileage from that motor.

Thank you for your input though.
I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but you will never get 20+ mpg in one of these trucks unless you go LSx with EFI or 6.2L diesel. You MIGHT crack the low 20's then, but that's it. The story about getting 150mpg? 100% complete and total BS. Pure and simple. Never going to happen.

The 115mpg chassis with 890HP? Sure, if you have a custom body with a super low co-efficient of drag and run the motor in it's most efficient range around a track without using the throttle after initial acceleration. But in a 30+ year old truck? May as well drive a barn door down the road.

I'm sorry, but your hopes and optimisms are just completely outside the scope of reality. With some tweaking and fine tuning, proper gearing, and a healthy engine, you MIGHT be able to pull down 17-18mpg on the highway, but your city mileage would suffer. Then, at that point, you have to ask yourself...how much money did I just spend to get 2-3mpg more out of this motor? Many times, people get so caught up in the mileage numbers, that they forget about cost and return on investment. If you spend $3000 to increase your gas mileage by 2mpg...It's going to take a looooong time to break even.

Let's break it down:

12,000 miles a year
15mpg
$3.75/gallon
That means you'll be spending $3000/yr on fuel ((12,000mi/15mpg )* 3.75)

12,000 miles a year
17mpg
$3.75/gallon
That means you'll be spending $2647/yr on fuel ((12,000mi/15mpg )* 3.75)

You'll save, on average, $353/yr. But you spent $3000 to gain those few mpgs...

It will take 8.5 YEARS to break even on your investment. It would be better to just accept your current mileage, or whatever you can gain from simple tweaks, and just run with it.

Last edited by foamypirate; 09-04-2012 at 10:32 PM.
foamypirate is offline   Reply With Quote