View Single Post
Old 08-16-2016, 08:05 PM   #80
shores6

Re: Project: Boosted Blucille. '70 C10 SWB PB Fab, LS2 S475

Alright, back to the bed floor. When it came time to cut the bed floor out for the hinged section, Im not gonna lie I was scared **** less lol But it went according to plan.

For the hinged section, I just built another frame out of 1" square tubing that fit inside the 1.5" tubing. The hinges are around 7" long, 5/8" diameter barrel weld on hinges.

When it came to mounting the hinged section, I got some tabs and welded them to the 1" square tubing and put nut serts in the crossmembers in the bed. The struts were definitely trial and error. I ended up with struts that are almost 21" long extended with 70 lbs of force each. Mounted some trick tabs in a couple different spots until I was happy with where the hatch shut. When the hatch was open, I wanted it to be the same angle as the hood when its open. So I put one of my Porterbuilt hinges together and put an angle finder on it and it was around 45*. Also got some chub tubz from Rob. These things are awesome. I ended up with the CT44s for a 12" wide wheel in case I decide to make a wheel change in the future. The chub tubz are just mounted with 4 bolts in each corner with nutserts in the bed floor.

I looked at about a million latches for this thing. I want something that was going to latch but also be able to be used as a pull. Easy enough, right? Wrong. While finding a latch that meet that criteria is pretty simple, finding one that also met the dimensions I needed was a bit of a chore. The problem was the ribs in the bed floor only being an inch and half wide. Most latch pulls were 2.5" in diameter. Would look a little dumb in my opinion. I ended up with a compression lever latch from southco. While it wasn't my first choice, it was definitely my best choice. Then it was off to get some more powder coat

Project: Boosted Blucille. '70 C10 SWB PB Fab, LS2 S480 - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=700419
shores6 is offline   Reply With Quote