Thread: Johns 66
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 11:30 PM   #171
rsd66C20

Re: Johns 66

I have a similar build to you....original 327, new edelbrock heads, Bowtie 700R4, 2200 rpm TC, 4.57 ratio. Last 9 months, I've been fighting what I thought was an engine problem. Ran alright in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, but shifted to 4th (about 50 mph), and engine acted like timing was off.

Tried everything, carb adjustments, every timing combo under the sun, new intake, new heads, new HEI distrib, oil separator on the PCV, etc. Pulling my hair out.

Finally, took it to a shop, told me he thought something wrong with the tranny (governor or pressure valve body), not the engine. Called Bowtie, as a troubleshooting test, they had me disconnect the torque convertor lockout circuit........and ran like a dream!!!!

Evidently, my best guess is that my whole cam/tranny/rear end setup just doesn't have enough power to push 4th up past the normal lockout....and the tranny is acting like a brake to the engine.

By not running the lockout through the brake pedal, it's essentially slipping enough for the engine to rev up past the torque convertor rpm.

I know this is a workaround, and not ideal, but the truck now runs great. Just going to keep an eye on the tranny temperature, make sure i'm not putting too much of a load on the cooling system.

Not saying this is your exact problem, just giving you some ideas to try. Hope it helps!
rsd66C20 is offline   Reply With Quote