View Single Post
Old 03-14-2016, 09:22 AM   #157
NastyBuzzard

Re: Let's Build A 1 Ton Crew Cab 4x4

So I had an interesting weekend.

Friday I left work and drove 2.5 hours to charlotte to check out this truck. 96 1 Ton Dump Truck

So the current owner has a side business welding, a customer gave him the truck just to make a dump trailer out of. The truck had been sitting for fuel issues and I guess he decided he just wanted a trailer out of it and told the guy he could sell or do whatever he wanted with the truck part, he just needed it made into a trailer. He puts it on craigslist.

I find it and ask how much for engine and he says I can have anything I want for $300 as long as I come pull it.

I had planned to strip this truck down of any piece I could ever use. Unfortunately, I was on a time limit and the owner had said he had a torch and was going to go ahead and cut the cab away from the trailer and cut away unnecessary stuff. That didn't happen though.

So I had to strip the truck down when I got there and was time was going away fast and I had to be home before 8. I still got everything I needed and then a little bit of extra.

Also it was really hard pulling this diesel out with the truck on dirt and his home made engine lift he had made when he was like 19 (he was well in his 50s.)

This thing is heavy!

Cleaned up the shop so I could push the truck forward and have plenty of room to unload and organize.

I started tinkering with it some.

Stripped off the wiring.

Looked a lot cleaner with all the extra's stripped off.

I couldn't help myself, I wanted to see it sitting in the truck.

Couldn't use the 6.5 DS manifold, I need to track down a 6.2 manifold for it.

Here you can see why I had to take the AC box off.

I am having a lot of problems getting it to mount to the frame correctly though. I can get one side in perfectly but the other side is about 1.5" off. I haven't put new clamshell mounts in yet. I was test fitting. I even swapped 3 different sets of mounts that bolt to engine and none of them seemed to help too much. Any THOUGHTS?

Here is the closest I could get.

I have heard people saying I need "shorty" mounts? I need to move clamshells up to the BBC mounting holes? I need to twist the engine and use a screwdriver to push up the rubber inside the clamshell? Who knows.

Check out how much larger the radiator is!

Also I robbed the hyrdroboost setup thinking it would be a direct swap but doesn't seem to be. From left to right we have the 79 hydroboost, the 88 vacuum and then the 96 hydroboost from donor. I have been told I can swap mounting plates or something then maybe extend or shorten the rod.

I also noticed this on the 6.5.. May need replacing for sure.

I also found some time to reassemble the 355 TBI that came out the truck. Hopefully I can get it sold.

Also thanks to my buddy, my T56 is back assembled

2010 CTS V- The "NastyBuzzard"
1979 Trans Am - Eventually getting 6.0/T56 swap with boost
NastyBuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote