View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 07:27 AM   #6
1project2many

Re: can anyone confirm this brake swap compatibility?

I just want to throw this in because I know a few folks have been caught off guard by it. If you are looking for an inexpensive 14 bolt rear be advised that the single wheel 14 bolt van axles from 1996~2002 are somewhat unique. The axle will work fine if you use the OE drum brakes but problems occur if you try to take advantage of one of the "disc brake swap" kits or writeups on the 'net.

These axles use slip on drums so the spacing from wheel flange to inside edge of hub is smaller. Correspondingly the distance from wheel seal surface to the axle end is also reduced. Standard hubs will install but with the shorter axle the axle nut cannot be tightened more than a few turns and the locking key and ring will be useless. I have used a lathe to turn OE axle nuts into "thin" axle nuts so the key and ring will work, but I promise removing the correct amount of hardened steel from the axle nut is a time consuming task. And although the hubs have never come off the axle I just didn't feel as warm n fuzzy about the thin nut compared to the nearly 1/4" thickness of the stock part.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote