View Single Post
Old 03-04-2016, 03:35 PM   #32
jeffahart

Re: A quick look at the Hickey worm gear winch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza View Post
Also, the manual shows 1/2 pint of oil for both the gearbox and the transfer case. The gear box filled perfectly to the correct level, but the transfer case not. I can barely see the oil which would make it about an inch low, but because I used a half pint like it said, I'm thinking it's because ours are upside down like they mentioned with the gear box. You have the same thing?

Are you planning on replacing bearings/seals?
I pulled the winch apart thinking I was going to clean it up, grease it up, and replace seals(NOT). I had a hell of a time getting the gears out. The rear bearing were blown. A lot of muck and sludge in the transfer case. Lots of rust on clutch side. But the biggest problem was the gear on the motor. That little sucker would not come off. It is in a tight space so I grinded a puller to fit. But still no luck. I soaked it, and tried over the course of a couple days to pull that little gear, with no luck. So, I finally took the pneumatic pickle fork to the back of it. OK, now it's off and the splines on the motor shaft look OK, and the 20 spline motor gear survived. But... since I soaked it and beat the hell out of it, I tested the motor again. It ran two seconds and quit. OK, no big deal I see these motors for sale all over. Well, no, not one with a 10 spline shaft. So now I think I need to figure how to use a smooth shaft motor with the same mating flange configuration and fit a gear with a key on there.

Unless you know where to get a 10 spline motor?

I ordered the bearings off amazon. those are coming today. But I need the motor before I can move forward.

If I would not have jacked my motor I would be assembling this weekend. But hey, all the gears wanted to stay on the shafts. What can you do, they need to be forced off. I guess the jarring from the impact hammer or break free fluid got to it.