View Single Post
Old 07-03-2018, 02:06 AM   #814
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: post up your camping pics

Did a quick overnighter with my buddy Bill to a cool trail here in Colorado. Red Cone pass is listed as extreme, not really a rock crawling trail although there is some of that on it. It's extreme due to the climb and descent to the summit. Tops out at 12,801ft above sea level. The trail runs right up the ridge or spine of the mountain to the top. So you get the thrill of drop offs on BOTH sides of the truck, not just one. Oh and the Descent down is way worse than the climb up.

Lots of time in the trees while climbing is tight for a full size. Even worse when running with a house on the back. But coming out of the trees is the trail to the top.

The dots you see on the trail are Jeeps. The climb gets steep here. All I could see was hood and sky.

Closer.

An idea of the sheer drop out the driver's side window. That's a long way down.

Up top.

The downhill run. To give an idea of the steepness, coming down I had my seatbelt locked and was leaning forward into it from gravity. Otherwise I'd be under the steering wheel. The last section had me standing on the brake pedal with BOTH feet and the truck was still lurching down an inch or two at a time. Hydroboost is in my future for sure. My gopro was running as I was too busy to take pics as I had my hands full.

Still a great trail to run. We took some easier stuff for the way home. Good way to beat the heat of the front range.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote