Thread: Crossbreed
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2017, 08:22 PM   #2
stangtjk

Re: Crossbreed

So the intention when I purchased this was to build a cheap truck for a 4x4 challenge between a few of my friends...

When I bought the truck the guy fired it right up but after I had it towed home I tried to get it started several times over the course of three days and just​ couldn't​ make it happen. I guess he knew the trick..

I pulled the carb and rebuilt it. First time rebuilding a carb so I was a bit apprehensive at first but it's really not that complicated so away I went. Got it all cleaned up and put back together. Popped it back on and....... Woohoo success.. fired right up...

At this point I'm thinking hell yeah, I'll be driving this around in no time (hah).... That thought was quickly remedied just minutes later when I started seeing oil dripping under the truck. It was running down the transmission. Let it run for a bit while I figured out where it was coming from and finally tracked it down. Oil was just pumping out between the intake and block in the valley behind the distributor.

So now I'm pulling the intake... Turns out whoever installed it didn't use enough rtv across the valley and there was a spot where the intake never made contact.
Attached Images

stangtjk is offline   Reply With Quote