Thread: 1988 wont start
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2018, 01:53 PM   #8
Mr_Rich

Re: 1988 wont start

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrock View Post
I am posting this because I just don't get what is wrong.
Its a 1988 c30 with 5.7 throttle body. My son was driving it and ran it out of oil. He was driving on the freeway, it made no sounds, it just stop running. We had it towed home and started to diagnose. I changed the oil sensor and now the gauge works. still no start. changed the coil pack, distributor cap, rotor. When I turn the key on I hear the pump. The motor turns over. The engine will start on starting fluid. I put a noid checker on it and it does NOT pulse. What should I do now?
I've got to ask since no one else has said it. Aren't you afraid this engine is a boat anchor now? Chevy engines are pretty robust but if it was run without oil then it was happening for some time. I was driving my old car and got stuck in traffic in 100 degree weather and my engine was running hot and blew off a radiator hose. I reconnected it and added water and drove it home. After that I was using about a quart of oil every 300-400 miles. I can't imagine how an engine running without oil *didn't* make any noise.
1997 K2500 Chev. EC 7.4L/ 4L80E
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 HD R/C
Mr_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote