View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #41
skorpioskorpio

Re: Educate me: Why does GM have both GMC and Chevrolet divisions making trucks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Most government and civilian purchases for the most part are bid on by different companies. There are strict requirements by these purchasing entities but it still boils down to who gives them the best service and product for the money.
I'm guessing when it comes to major utility fleets and such that GM probably submits bids as Chevy since they are large chunk numbers that would tally up towards the years "best selling truck" number.

I do know that in the old Bell System days AT&T was bound by trust order to buy vehicles based on market share, so they would have to buy what ever percentage of their vehicles from each manufacture that that manufacture sold in the previous year to the general public. AT&T also was not allowed to contribute more than 25% of any one companies business, the idea was that if they ever canceled a project they wouldn't single handedly bankrupt a company, I'm sure government is the same sort of thing.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote