Thread: brake line size
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2018, 02:01 PM   #2
Cautrell05

Re: brake line size

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
Here is some info on my build. 53 1/2 ton pickup. Wilwood 12.88" drilled and slotted rotors. Rear cable drive emergency brake. 4 piston rear and 6 piston front. Frankland QC rear end and leaf spring front and rear if that matters. So here's the deal. I build factories for a living and we have thousands of feet of high end stainless steel tubing from 1/4" to 1/2" in my buildings. We end up with a lot of scrap sometimes 15 to 20 feet long. Wilwood tells me I need 3/16" line for my brakes and not to use 1/4" line. I don't understand why. Same in same out? In the big picture buying 3/16" tubing wont make much difference but I just don't understand why. Any advice would be helpful. I also have pallets of fittings for 1/4". Thanks for any help.
I know that GM has started using quarter inch lines on their trucks for a while now. They're also running big 2 and 4 piston calipers on some of their stuff. I am thinking the larger line has something to do with the added volume that they're moving. I'm planning on running quarter inch line on mine just because I've had some systems it before that were all 3/16 and you could almost feel the Restriction in the lines as you push the brake pedal down. Myself personally I just didn't care for it.

I really don't know why they would recommend against using larger line. On a hydraulic system you get out whatever you put into it.

My 47/S10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=679723
Cautrell05 is offline   Reply With Quote