View Single Post
Old 12-28-2005, 05:24 PM   #31
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: cutting the dash

I cut the dash on my sons' 69, back in '99. He wanted a din-sized unit with a CD player, so there was no option for us. I used a Dremel Tool, and sized the cut with the sleeve that the radio (a Jensen) slid into. When I sold his (my) truck, the prospective owner never flinched at the opening. He could see that it was not butchered....and, it wasn't.

As for the past, I've seen so many dashes that have been butchered when the owners would mount, or just try in some cases, to install a radio that never was intended to fit. Anyone with a few years under their belt, will recall the factory radios that Ford used in '55, which had a round face/dial. I have seen that radio, installed in a 55-59 Chevy pick up dash. Not good. At least in todays' lifestyles, we have some standardization in radios, with DIN and Double-DIN being the majority of the offerings from various manufacturers.

Any job that is worth doing, is worth doing well. If you want to install a DIN-sized radio, then by all means go ahead an do it. I have one more double-shaft Pioneer, that will fit my '69. When it takes a crap, I'll see what's on the market and make my decision at that time. If I can adapt a Sirius/XM tuner to my Pioneer and and make it work, it'll happen. I'll just use a Dremel Tool and carefully plan my cut, then make it happen. It will look good, and the DIN-sized radio will fit and look very nice.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote