Thread: Started her up!
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 12:19 AM   #15
vancelot69

Re: Started her up!

I got out yesterday afternoon to dink around with my truck some. Hadn't messed with it since last November, but it started up on the second try, so that was cool. I capped off the vacuum line to the distributor as suggested, tinkered with the timing a bit, then tightened the distributor hold down bolt a little so it hopefully won't move on it's own, but I should still be able to move it by hand.

I took a video of the timing (first video), then took a video of me revving it up (2nd video). In the 1st video, I had my wife accelerate some because I was using one hand to trigger the timing light and the other to hold the camera. In the 2nd video, I accelerated it manually. It still stumbled, but it didn't die. Also in this video, I noticed the fan wobbling, so I'm pretty sure I need a new one (see the original post).

The 3rd video is just showing more smoke from the exhaust blowing down the road.

The 4th video I was trying to listen to the clickety-clack, but you can't really hear it that well, but I noticed that I could see the exhaust smoking pretty vividly while underneath. In the video, I say from the driver's side, but when watching it, I noticed smoke was coming pretty good from both sides. Also in the video, I mentioned some of the parts I think could be the culprit for the noise, two of which I mentioned in the original post (fan clutch or water pump), but in the video I also mentioned it could be the power steering pump since it currently has no power steering fluid. After taking this video, I got out the mechanic's stethoscope and tried to listen to the power steering pump, water pump, and front main seal. It kind of sounded like the water pump was the noisiest, but none of them were really all that noisy.

Then I climbed under behind the front tire to look at the flywheel. The clickety-clack was really obvious coming from here, so I listened to the rear main seal with the stethoscope, but it wasn't super obnoxious here either. I also saw something that didn't look right to me, there was something that looked like it was just slinging around on the flywheel, so I took another video (video 5), and in this video, you can hear the clickety-clack pretty well. When I shut the engine off and looked at the flywheel, it looks like the thing I was seeing is the counterweight on it. Speaking of this counterweight, how do you know which direction it needs to be? Are there guide hole(s) on the crankshaft?

After re-reading this thread, I forgot to connect my tach/dwell to see if it was at 700 RPM, so I still don't know about that part.

So, it seems good to me that it didn't die when it stumbled during hard acceleration, but then again, I had the vacuum disconnected, so it could just be a by product of that. It's also boggling me why it constantly smokes. And I can't tell if it's white or blue. It kind of smells rich, and I don't think it's coolant, it doesn't smell sweet (never has), but at this point it's just water and super flush, but I just don't know.

video 1
video 2
video 3
video 4
video 5
2003 HD Road King

Last edited by vancelot69; 03-12-2018 at 12:42 AM.
vancelot69 is offline   Reply With Quote