View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 08:51 AM   #70
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Re: Rottenwood Garages C50 Hauler project about to begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post
My question why not just update the chassis to a 1990 frame engine rear end power steering and hydro boosted brakes.When i build my 1964-66 3 ton bob tail 16 foot bed but 20 foot truck I rather have updated stuff that is still be used.

I have a saying i rather have new under my truck instead of running old that i can't find or or neglected and hit a school bus full of kids.

k
All good points and not one this is answered quickly.

Bed and Frame

This particular build was centered around the bed and the frame it was attached to. I/we do NOT get into LONG drawn out, time consuming expensive builds. The bed set perfectly, looked great and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the frame its welded on and certainly nothing wrong with using it. We build these vehicles in stages. We DO NOT drag builds out longer than 6 months. Consequently what you see, we consider PHASE 1. It can and will be updated as the need arises. Cutting the bed off and re fabricating it on a different width frame is just not of any interest to me. I would be better off building the bed from scratch and that's not really of interest.

Rear axle.

Will be replaced when it goes out or I find one. Absolutely NO reason not to use it. HUGE brakes and works perfectly.

Front suspension

We wanted to see how the ride height was. It will likely get 73-87 drop spindles and the brakes are already from those years. Not alot of difference in 87 and 90.

Brakes

There is nothing "UNSAFE" about the brake system on this truck. Disc/drum/master/booster have been used for a lot longer than I have been on this planet safely. All components are new except the rear drums. Nothing under the truck is "neglected", but yes. there is one brake part that is obsolete. Hydroboost...great idea and yes, and option...as mentioned....rolling project phase 1. A great upgrade...yes... Is it necessary??? Absolutely not. 4 wheel disc....when rear axle goes...certainly something to look at...necessary....NOPE.. rear brakes work great I've owned medium duty trucks all my life and have never had rear discs. They all stop well! There is nothing wrong with a disc drum master/booster brake system with the correct size calipers, rotors and drums that are correctly adjusted and maintained. Would newer stuff be nice, yes!! Necessary....absolutely not. Lets also remember 1990 is not really new either.

So, could there be different ways to do it...yes! MANY. Are there better braking options available...YES....Is there anything wrong with the system underneath the truck....NO. Would using a hydroboost system from 1990 keep me from rear ending a school bus full of children as apposed to what is currently under my truck....Im thinking probably not??

Im glad you are happy and feel secure with your build and the way you did it. I would not be able to sleep at night if I was worried about rear ending a school buss full of children either. I too am happy and very comfortable with what I have rolled out for Phase 1.
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!

Last edited by 72freak; 03-11-2018 at 08:57 AM.
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote