View Single Post
Old 01-13-2024, 02:31 PM   #18
Short 3/4

Re: Converting full time hubs to lockouts

Actually, the shoes were the easiest part. I did indeed take them to a large truck shop to be relined. They were also able to radius them to perfectly match the drums. This is a very important step that greatly improves the efficiency of any drum brakes.

The hard part was the drums. This was ten years ago and it took me about a year to find usable replacements. I was starting to get really worried! Apparently forum member Chaparrailman 1974 has recently found a good source for these long hard to find front drums. Amazing how much help other members here can be.

Surprisingly, the other hard part to find was the small hardware. Many vendors say they have it, but it’s always 1/2 ton stuff that does NOT work for a 3/4 ton. Once again, creative scrounging and the help of other members came to the rescue.

Speaking of rare parts, I have never seen stock 1/2 ton drive flanges like the ones you are taking off. I would say they are even harder to find than the lockout hubs. Definitely save them for posterity, or offer them up to another member
NoSpin HO72 4.10 rear

Last edited by Short 3/4; 01-13-2024 at 02:45 PM.
Short 3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote