View Single Post
Old 01-30-2017, 05:02 PM   #4
Mr_Rich

Re: Oil pressure driving me crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs-style View Post
Yea I may pick up the accessories for the manual gauge I have today.

It was smooth running after I got it all back together. I have an idea that while I was driving, and the oil pressure dropped the lack of fuel flow confused the computer.

Am I thinking of this right? The fuel pump runs in with the oil pressure switch . When the oil pressure drops, the computer starts to kill the fuel pump. When I rev it, it brings the oil pressure back up. I'm thinking the inconsistent pressure gives the computer to much to keep up with?
Uhhhh...no! These are analog gauges and have very little influence on the PCM one way or another. I'd bet on a flaky oil pressure gauge; just like mine behaves. Once I realized it was failing I ceased fretting about it. The real culprit is the 88-91 gauge cluster that eventually starts acting up. My speedo is tied in to the PCM and when I'm going down the highway and suddenly the speedo drops to zero mph I hear the engine change tone which means it's getting a different mixture signal to the TBI. I bang on the gauge cluster with my knuckle and the speedo comes back up and the engine is happy again. There's about a ten year gap where the gauges went from analog to digital so you don't have to think in complicated terms on these years of trucks. I made a 90 ohm test cord to verify my oil pressure gauge. Mine acts up intermittently shortly after I reset it this way.
Some Ebay subs seem to do a good business selling these gauge clusters because they're going for a pretty good price for parts that are in fair condition, IMO. I've got to pull mine out...again...to try and solve the problem with the speedo and oil pressure gauge on mine.
1997 K2500 Chev. EC 7.4L/ 4L80E
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 HD R/C
Mr_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote