View Single Post
Old 01-28-2016, 02:02 PM   #1
Metalaroundstone

Would like review of Steele vent window rubber 64-66

I can't seem to get anybody who has installed steele vent window rubber to provide feedback on the results. Mainly I want to know if the vent windows open and close easily and do they fit snug against the outside of the door.

I used Precision brand vent window rubber and it had an 1/8" gap between the rubber and the outside door (perfect for water to drain down into the door). I had to shim out the rubber seal with a strip of rubber between the vent window frame and the seal to close this gap, but it still isn't as tight as i would like. Also, the vent windows are very difficult to close with this new rubber.

I also used Precision brand beltline window sweeps and the clips for installing them had such jagged edges they would not go into the slots without modification. The clips were so brittle that several of them broke off during installation. Fortunetely I had my original seals to steal clips from.

Lastly, the new pivot rivets does not fit tightly, allowing play in the hinge, which was not there with the 50 year old stainless pivot rivet that I had to drill out to rebuild the vent window. I got two sets of pivot rivets ( one set from filling station and another set from Classic Car Parts) Both sets had the same sloppy fit.

Anyway, I am dissatisfied with the rebuild. I really would like to know if the Steele brand vent rubber solves the gap issue and are easier to open and close.

Also, anybody know where to get better fitting pivot rivets?
Attached Images

Metalaroundstone is offline   Reply With Quote