View Single Post
Old 11-16-2002, 03:19 PM   #6
KIILew

Brian76GMC:

Your post is a very interesting one! If you can, keep those trucks..the various special edition models that GMC produced from 1975 onward are getting harder to find all the time!

When I was a cub scout in grade school, the father of one of the boys in my troop bought a brand new Spirit of '76 Royal Sierra GMC C15 like the one you have. It was frost white on the outside with the same distinctive interior you describe. I was very envious of it even then, back in '76. I think I have seen it around town fairly recently, though its original lustre is gone.

Incidently, the Royal Sierra Package, which was a separate option from but apparently included with the 1976 Spirit of '76 package, was actually a bundled group of the most popular options, discounted at a special price savings, packaged with the GMC Sierra Grande trim level. It was specifically intended to boost sales during the normally slow selling winter and early spring months of the year, and was offered during each model year from 1975 to 1980 (actually the package was offered in earlier years too, though not under the "Royal Sierra" name). It competed with the Ford Explorer discount option package offered on Ford pickups during those years, as well as the Dodge Prospector option groupings. The Royal Sierra packages are identical in concept and content to the Chevrolet Bonanza packages offered during the same time frames.

Nice thread, and that is a great picture of a Gentleman Jim, too!

Ken
KIILew is offline   Reply With Quote