View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #19
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Thumbs up Re: Post Your 60-66 Chevy/GMC Customized Lowrider Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan-m View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but can anyone tell me what that big tube things hanging off the passenger window of some of those trucks are?
Vintage Window-Mounted Evaporative Cooler
A car cooler is an automobile window-mounted air cooler or evaporative cooler, sometimes referred to as a swamp cooler. It is an early type of automobile "air conditioner."

To cool the air it used latent cooling of vaporization, in other words, cooling by water evaporation. Water inside the cooler evaporates and in the process transfers heat to the surrounding air, giving in return cool air inside. The lower the humidity, the better it works. Because of the dry desert air of very low humidity, they were popular in the southwestern United States like California, Arizona, Texas, New Mexico and Nevada.

Car CoolerThe technology was an after-sale add-on product for cars and has been around since 1930. It was popular from the 1930s through to the 1960s. The basic unit looked like a canister-type vacuum cleaner. The car coolers were used on antique and classic cars from the Model As to street rods.

One model used balsa-wood shavings in a pad within the unit. The water from the container soaked the shavings and when air was forced through the unit the water would evaporate giving a cooling effect. The cool air would blow through a vent at a right angle on the main unit into the passenger's compartment.

There were several manufacturers of car coolers, examples being Thermador, ClassicAir, Sears Roebuck (Allstate brand) and Star Mfg. The car cooler came in different models from "ram-air" to "fan-powered" types. The "ram-air" type mounted on the passenger side window. It would only work when the car was in forward motion as the air was forced into the tube. It had a water reservoir that held about a gallon (4 liters) of water, which would provide "air conditioned" cooling for about 100 to 150 miles (150–250 km). The "fan-powered" model was designed to work when the car was not in motion or when moving at low speeds. It had a built-in fan that forced the air through the cooler tube.

The car cooler is an outdated technology as refrigeration methods used today are more effective. However, there are manufacturers that still make car coolers for antique and classic cars

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=330490

What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.
1Bad62Pro/Street is offline   Reply With Quote